AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids with A.D.D.?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BHTN
Posted 10/2/2014 10:14 (#4104836 - in reply to #4104694)
Subject: RE: Kids with A.D.D.?

West Tennessee

SpringBrookFarm - 10/2/2014 07:54
I feel that ADHD is more just a personality then anything, its not a disease or a condition, its just who you are.

YES /\ /\ THIS!!!!!

I definitely have problems paying attention. I have stuff to be working on right now as a matter of fact but I'm making this post. It IS who I am and people are wired differently. I had to make it through school the best I could. I figured out in college that if I listened to what went on in class that was MUCH better than taking notes that I never went back and read. Some teachers asked why I didn't take notes when everyone else was. I told them I'd rather be able to remember what was said and they were OK with it. When I took a test I could remember what I had heard and figure it out then if I hadn't done the homework, which was often the case. My point is that personally I think it's better for each person to figure out what is the best way for them to learn. Obviously this has to fit into the classroom mold some way but there is almost always a way. To this day I can't sit down and read a book. My mind wanders in just a few paragraphs so if I HAVE to read something it takes me a while because I can only read in short bursts then have to do something and come back to it. I can remember what I read though and retain it but can't force myself into hours at a time of reading. That is futile and frustrating. Good luck to your daughter and you. Hopefully you can find something that works for her.

I'll add this as well.  To me it's a shame that lots of people look at this personality as somehow defective when we're just different.  People who have trouble staying on task can nonetheless very often be extremely high achievers if allowed to perform in their own way.  When forced into the confines of what most consider "normal" they often get frustrated and underachieve their capabilities.  Back to work for me now.

Edit to add: I agree with most of the premises in his book. http://www.thomhartmann.com/articles/1994/01/hunters-our-schools-and-offices-origin-adhd  I know that there are many who don't but it really made sense to me and gave me insight into why I did the things I did.  It changed the way I looked at a lot of things and other people too. 

Edited by BHTN 10/2/2014 10:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)