AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids with A.D.D.?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GardenGirl
Posted 10/2/2014 08:31 (#4104637 - in reply to #4104454)
Subject: RE: Kids with A.D.D.?

Minnesota
Reading your post, I can feel your concern.
Our son struggled with math, too. One teacher told us that in college she was told that some people cannot understand math until they are around 18 years old; that was probably somewhat true for me.
Some ideas for you:
1) does your daughter have a different teacher this year? If so, and if math was working better for her last year, could you talk to last year's teacher and get some insights as to what to do?

2) for our son, we hired a tutor; actually it was another boy a couple of years older who was really smart with math and a teacher advised the tutor what to work on with our son. That was helpful; sometimes I think 'kid language' gets through where adults can't.

3) I wouldn't put her on pills...........it sounds like you are taking good care of her health-wise and nutrition-wise................some brains just aren't wired for math :)

4) as for reading comprehension: Is she being told she has to read FAST? Fast isn't always good if you can't take the time needed to absorb what you're reading. I don't like the Reading Quizzes that require speed along with comprehension........what's the point of speed reading if there's no understanding?

5) good advice given by others here. Sure, it couldn't hurt to talk to your doctor just to make sure nothing else is going on. But, remember that we all learn differently. Just keep on loving her for who she is and concentrating on her strengths and interests she has outside of school. School is important, but not the most important thing in the world :)

6) Looking back on my classmates........the ones considered 'slow' in school are now some of THE MOST SUCCESSFUL in their careers as adults. I don't believe that the traditional school setting is very helpful to so many; it may even hinder those with different learning styles. I've also found that some of those students diagnosed with ADD are oftentimes very intelligent; their minds are so sharp and constantly active, that they do have trouble concentrating on one thing at a time. But, self-control and disciplining oneself to stay on track are important, too, and must be practiced.

7) Our son is now doing fine in his career; he went to a 2 year college, did fine with the math there; and now is a hard-working guy with a good full time job. I wish you and your daughter the best!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)