AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

taking on-farm network farther with fiberoptic cable
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

RAFscott
Posted 9/4/2014 15:26 (#4055577 - in reply to #4055451)
Subject: RE: taking on-farm network farther with fiberoptic cable

Scottsboro, AL
Since you seem to be doing your research on this, I am sure you know that difference between the different fiber types is in the transmission speed capability per distance. OM1 is the base level using 62.5um fiber, OM2 is better than OM1, OM3 is better than OM2, etc. For the previous post, I just pulled a quick example that would work for your situation and should be the cheapest. You can easily change upgrade to whatever you want. Probably a bad assumption on my part, but I figured there is not much bandwidth required for what would be going on at your bin site. With that short of a span, the OM1 will easily perform at 1 Gb speeds. Depending on the price increase, I would probably go with OM2 just for future upgradability. Just remember the media converters I listed are only capable of up to 1 Gb speeds.

The mini-GBIC port lets you choose what type of SFP you want to use depending on your current network environment (single mode/multi-mode, 10/100/1000, etc). Those switches/routers are also better than adding a media converter as you eliminate a connection. Their downfall is the price. To me, for this simple situation I would just use the two cheaper media converters.

Good Luck
Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)