AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

taking on-farm network farther with fiberoptic cable
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 8/26/2014 16:40 (#4039815)
Subject: taking on-farm network farther with fiberoptic cable

C IL

Want to take network from farm office to bin site.  Have an existing 2" PVC conduit from building to building.  Distance is right at or over the extent of the 328-ft max distance with Cat 6 copper wire.  And I'm been told 275 feet is a more reasonable max distance due to the possibility of data loss over that link. 

Have any of you converted over to fiber optic wire for a 'WAN' type connection on this (short for fiber) length of run?  The converters are cheap-ish ~ $50-100 or so.  Reputable manufacturer?  I haven't seen a Cisco product in my quick Amazon search.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Fiber-Ethernet-Converter-MCM110SC2/dp/B002Q0WMWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+ethernet+to+fiber+converter

I guess I don't quite understand the copper-to-fiber changeover.  The copper has 4 pairs.  Does each pair go to a fiber strand or pair of strands, or do the entire 4 pairs go to 1 strand? Does the SPF socket only use 1 pair of fiber optic wires?  In other words, do I buy 4-strand fiber, or 8-strand?

Can I buy a combination fiber-to-copper converter/combo switch for the terminal end of this connection?  (yes, yes, I know it is a 2-way deal). 

I guess I bought a not-quite-fancy-enough VPN router.  I thought I got a pretty oversized, overly-expensive one, but the Cisco rv042 vpn router I bought doesn't appear to have a SPF socket to hook the fiber directly into the switch/router, even though it is a WAN router (or does the WAN part simply mean it supports VPN?)

Will probably terminate the copper or fiber run at a switch at the bin site.  I can see the site ending up with several IP cameras for truck loading, as well as future connections to all sorts of monitors, etc, so don't really want to rely on a wireless link.     

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)