AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Military pilots.......farmers now?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bob Blue
Posted 12/2/2012 22:34 (#2729638 - in reply to #2729109)
Subject: Re: Military pilots.......farmers now?

I was AF Reserves and I ended up my last 3 years as an airborne radio operator in C-119 Boxcars at a local Troop Carrier Wing, Wilmington, Ohio,early 1960's. Any time the C-119 went over water, radio operator, was responsible for air to ground communication. Many trips to Panama Canal, Florida in the winter, Bermuda in the summer, static displays at air shows, . A lot of training flights across the country. Most all the pilots were WW11 and Korean War pilots and there were many interesting stories on the intercom during the log boring flights. Had my pilots license and a Piper TriPacer at the time, Some of the pilots knew I flew and would talk about their general aviation experience. One pilot who liked to talk farming, one day said, Blue, you ought to be an Air Force pilot, take my seat and fly this thing. I had never flown a plane with no nose for horizon reference, 12,000ft and haze, first 15 seconds were WOW, where am I, then I went to the instruments. Use to get a crew chief and we would go to the simulator room and fly the C-119 simulator. Once on take off, wouldn't lift off, 150mph, no lift, then the horizon bar went to the bottom and up like a rocket. Heard a laugh, that same pilot, was passing by, set the gross weight to 75,000lbs (65K Limit), then rolled it back to 30,000lbs. Had a lot fun, flew with many experienced pilots and traveled to many places in States. . Bought another Piper, 5 years ago, wife and I fly every week, 250 hours in the last five years, and now my son has started flying again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)