AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybeans deep or shallow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 5/7/2021 07:39 (#8991720 - in reply to #8991678)
Subject: RE: Soybeans deep or shallow

n.c.iowa

Yea here as well pva, I had to have a “cultivator adjustment session” with my son.

he wanted to run it deep (5-7” is deep for here) .  My past experience indicated that in a dry spring (granted we don’t get many of them here) that deep spring tillage is a no-no. 

he became alittle resistant to my suggestion to which I replied, “we ripped last fall, there’s no call to do it this spring as well, just set it to the minimum depth that’ll level it off and when we come back with the second pass( we use trifluralin, one pass to level, second pass raised up alittle more to incorporate) it’ll be smooth enough.”

Whadya know ol’ pops seemed to know what he was talking about.

we don’t work our fall bean stubble except in a few rare cases, we only run the cultivator about 2.5 - 3” deep in the spring. 

one thing I did notice though is that the ripped ground we leveled off early seemed to have more moisture in it that the stuff we leveled off a few days before planting. 

The only times that we’ve “brought up moisture” obviously somebody was running the machine too deep, and bringing up clods.

it’s been my experience that clods don’t do much for a good seed bed. 

Edited by johnny skeptical 5/7/2021 08:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)