AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fork in the road.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

timis
Posted 4/25/2021 10:59 (#8971935 - in reply to #8969205)
Subject: RE: Fork in the road.....

Iowa
Everything is different in different areas. “Here” having 5-600 acres isn’t really enough to be “full time” unless there’s livestock involved.

I’m 37 and in the last few years have kinda went the other way— I will keep farming what I have, we have a hog building too— but my off farm job is good enough that I’d be stupid to leave it.

As someone who has 4 kids I’d throw a couple things out there— get started if it’s something you want to do. At 25 getting up multiple hours a night is no problem, at 35-40 it really sucks. One thing that could screw up your plans — our first one the wife was so sick she really couldn’t work, our 3rd was a premie, so she was in hospital for 2 months, last was special needs so she was out 6 months — any of those scenarios COULD screw up your plans.

Last thing I’d throw out there — my current job I work from home (since 2012) - wife still crabs at me “what’d you do today” — coworkers face the same thing. The perception is you’re home so you can/will do a bunch of house work. You and I both know you may be working on something that makes 10k that single day, but because it wasn’t visible “what’d you do today?”

Hard to believe but at 35 you’re almost 1/2 way thru your life — you and the mrs need to evaluate where your at, what do you want things to look like at 50-70. If it were me Unless you have a way to farm full time with her not working, I’d find a job you like - doesn’t have to be fulltime, but something to keep you going. Maybe work with bigger farmer? I had a job one time that really stressed me out, now I have a job that I enjoy — makes a huge difference. Good luck!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)