AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fork in the road.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

zach0485
Posted 4/23/2021 18:12 (#8969205)
Subject: Fork in the road.....

So maybe I'm posting on here here just for validation in my decision, support or just helpful advice or whatever it may be looking for. I've reached a point in my life I feel I need to make a decision. Since I was little all I've everything wanted to was farm, at the age of sixteen I set out on my own and started renting land with the help of my grandfather. Im now 35 married mortgage, no kids and have been able to grow my operation to 500 to 600 acres a year, fluctuates ever year. Seems every year I gain acreage and i loose a little bit, due to death and so on. Competition for land here is extremely competitive and I always seem to miss out on opportunities. Anyways I've maintained a job through out this time and have had help from my father and uncle to get things on the farm done in the spring and fall. Im realizing Im not always going to be able to depend on them as they are getting older and their health is starting to prohibit them.
My wife and I work for the a nearby city. I'm contemplating leaving my job that pays well, and has excellent benefits. but is taking toll on my body because its very physically demanding and im not happy at all doing it anymore, to further pursue my dream of farming full time, and trying to start a side business to help supplement income. Im scared as hell to make the leap, as nothing is guaranteed and failure is very possible. My wife is in total support of me doing this, but I'm hesitant to make the move out of fear of failure and throwing away a good job. She makes excellent money and will be able to continue our health insurance which helps. I guess I'm just looking for other voices of reason and support
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)