AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jfqc
Posted 2/27/2021 08:33 (#8861199 - in reply to #8860444)
Subject: RE: Calving on large herds

se montana
Thanks for an informative thread. I’ve often wondered the same thing.

I’m all about calving out on pasture and letting cows find good shelter and staying out of the mud. I use a bike or a horse or a snowmobile to run through the pastures once a day(2 different pastures one half section big). When the weather is nasty, I’ll try harder than that to warm stuff up and dry it off, but calving mid March, I avoid a fair amount of snow.

Calving a couple hundred mature cows, I might have one backward,head back calf every 3 years. It’s not worth living with them to save that. I’ll find a bumb calf about every other year that was probably a twin and I’ll bottle feed it till I find it a mother. My pastures are a ways apart as well.

Now my first calf heifers get locked in a 7 acre trap and calved with cameras on them Around the clock. I check camera once during the night. I went for a few warm weather years and didn’t night check the heifers and got by just fine, but with temps colder than freezing at night, and I went back to night checking them.

I think it all comes down to qualify of life, income return vs time invested, and do you have any thing else to do that has a monetary value. Here it is farming in the spring.

I’ve got neighbors that calve just like I do, and some lock their whole herd into a mud hole and touch every calf in one way or another. I don’t know what saves more calves, but I know what I prefer.

My biggest death losses over the past 20 years have been stillborns, not hypothermia or distocia. I can’t control stillborns
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)