AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pumpmanAl
Posted 2/27/2021 12:01 (#8861565 - in reply to #8860444)
Subject: RE: Calving on large herds

lake Michigan shore line/Mason county
As you get more sun raises and sun sets on your beef operation you will learn when to worry, when not to. If you run the right bull, and the weather is on your side Momma cows almost take care of themselves. Heifers sometimes can be stupid, cows bought bred can be uncertain. Unless its real cold, real hot, raining, or very windy, we check in the am. Then at lunch time walk through. Supper time a quick check. Then just b4 bed. If you have kids, they are great eyes. Mine are old enough they will let me know one has her ears down, or gew hanging. Or maybe off by her self. I grew up on beef cattle, but when I bought my own I was a worry wart. Now 30 years latter I have learned to relax and only get involved when its needed, but when needed do whats got to be done. Only time to really sweat is when you see 4 hooves, 2 rear hooves, or a head to big to fit. never panic on the head unless it is stuck at the ears and eyes. (this is when the cord is being pinched off and it is time for the calf to breath on its own). I took some MSU classes on calving many years ago. This taught me the mechanics of the process and helped me learn what was ok, and not ok. Each year you learn to relax and enjoy, not worry so much. Seeing cattle born on your farm is a true joy, and blessing from God. Each year by this time I am ready to throw in the towel and give it up, but after the first calf comes I am all in. Good luck with yours, and enjoy . Al
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)