AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 2/26/2021 23:16 (#8860842 - in reply to #8860444)
Subject: RE: Calving on large herds

We start calving end of April. If the weathers nice we check once in the night during the first cycle as that’s when the bred heifers are calving. If the weather is ugly we check a few times. During the day one will tag, sort and move pairs to their pasture groups. Since we built a calf catcher that is a real easy job for one. The other will feed.

We’ll average 25 a day or so during the first cycle but plan on 40 something if the barometer changes. We have a open front shed with a maternity pen and 6 pens for the first calvers. The cows just have the same setup but it’s outdoors. We’re putting a roof over it this year as it seems the only time we use it is when the weather is ugly.

We’re a few more head than average in my area but there’s certainly some bigger outfits.

When I’m helping my neighbour who isn’t setup the most efficient it’s a bigger pita to calve 70 than 700 on a good setup and management plan. A good effective setup doesn’t necessarily have to cost a lot of $ per head either. Ours certainly isn’t.

Sometimes a straight extrapolation for time invested per head isn’t necessarily correct.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)