AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aftermarket autosteer valve question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/28/2021 08:48 (#8863102 - in reply to #8862913)
Subject: RE: Fox

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree about the load sense. The two Deere tractors that I have that use an external valve came with a choice of orifices for the load sense but they came with the kit and nothing extra was needed from Deere.

Concerning load sense, My first auto steer experience was with a Deere 8120 with ILS. The Load Sense port on top of the SCV stack was marked but it was confusing. The installer mistakenly used a different port but surprisingly the auto steer worked fine for testing. My first real use was planting corn. I drove to the field which was fine. I needed to use an SCV to run the Vac pump and started on my first end pass. The first pass was parallel to a drainage ditch and I steered manually.

It seemed like the steering was not normal. After fighting that first pass, I stopped on the end. While sitting there I noticed the front wheels were moving left/right. This surprised me because the auto steer had not been engaged. I was certain the electronics were moving the wheels since I wasn't. The external valve was out in the open and connected with a pair of Weather Pack connectors, it was easy to disconnect the valves. To my amazement, the wheels still turned left/right.

Since I needed to plant, I removed the hydraulic lines to the external valve and plugged them. I was then able to plant as usual without auto steer.

One thought was that debris may have entered the external valve when I rerouted the hoses for a nicer layout. I didn't think so since I had been very careful. Turns out that load sense was the problem. Since a nearby port was used instead of the correct port, some oil flow was going through the valve "backwards" in a sense and was moving the wheels. Once the load sense line was connected to the actual LS port, the system worked fine and continues to work well.

Later I had a similar system installed on the older 8310. The valve was a different valve and looks somewhat like the one in the picture above. I believe the different valve may have been necessary since the 8120 has ILS which was available for the 8310. The 8310 required a load sense line also but the cap on the valve stack was different style. I believe there were four different sized orifices available for that tractor. Apparently the correct one was used as the steering on that tractor has been fine all along.

Edited by tedbear 2/28/2021 08:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)