Posted 12/28/2020 13:45 (#8703548 - in reply to #8702661) Subject: RE: Graphics Card Needs Updated...
Here is a short guide:
To start out "molex" at one time was a brand/set of standards/slang for quite a few different connectors, today they are usually referred to as:(if viewing this post immediately let me edit it so I can get the pictures in the right order)
1. Sata power
2. CPU power 4/8 pin.
3. VGA/GPU/perif 6/8 pin.
4. Some cards take dual "6" VGA power, like this Nvidia reference design. I have seen some that take up to 4 "6" VGA power.
5. What is called "Molex" in the computer world. Flat and 4 pins.
6. Some take dual "8" VGA power. I have also seen cards that can take up to 4 "8" VGA power.
7. Some do take the single "6" or single "8" VGA power.
8. The difference between CPU power 4/8 and VGA power 6/8. While they are the same size, a few of the power cables are different and, as you can hopefully see, they have a different shape on those pins. When looking for an adapter they may just call it a "molex to 8 pin" for either one.
9. It does seem that most molex(and I guess SATA too) to VGA power usually has a two to one setup. Double molex to single VGA 8 power on top, molex to CPU power on the bottom. Why I have both is I ordered what I thought was VGA power and got CPU power instead for the xp era psu I was using at first.