AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Graphics Card Needs Updated...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 12/26/2020 12:54 (#8698803 - in reply to #8698399)
Subject: RE: Graphics Card Needs Updated...

East Central Ia
Couple things.

Looks like you are currently using the onboard graphics setup as I don't see graphics card, which is good as you have plenty of room to add a card. This simply means the current graphics chipset is built onto the motherboard. These are typically terrible for gaming but fine work general computer usage.

Typically your graphics card will go in one of the uppermost slots, which on your motherboard is the longer black one at the top of the photo. If you look closely to the top right edge of the slot close to where a larger Lenovo marking is you will see PCIE16X.

This tells you that your mobo has a PCI Express X16 Slot for a graphics card. The smaller black slot underneath looks like a PCI X4 and could be used to add other peripherals.

There are several generations of the PCIE interface but the nice thing is they are all backwards compatible. So if your newer card is capable of higher speeds on a newer generation PCI Bus it will still work on an older one but at the older generations speed limitations.

You will have lots of options for adding a graphics card.

Next will be your power supply. Can you find a marking on it that says how many Watts it is? Graphics cards take a ton of juice and give off a lot of heat. So be prepared for a graphics card that is large with build in cooling fans and heat sinks. It looks like you have plenty of room to install it though so that is also good. Just keep in mind that they can extend well past the end of that PCIE slot so if there is anything in the way past the end of your picture you will need to measure how much room you have and check that against the specs on the card to make sure it will fit.

If your power supply is small you will have to keep this in mind when purchasing a graphics card and possibly upgrade that as well. It is not hard and they are pretty inexpensive for what they do... $50 give or take for a decent one
More than likely you will not have an issue with this. This is typically a concern for higher end graphics cards.

That PS connector looks like a standard flat 4 pin power connector. A PCIEX16 card will use a different connector that will be 6 pins in a 3x2 setup. You should have this in the wiring from your power supply but it might be tucked back and taped or zip tied to make a cleaner look inside the case. If you don't have this you can get an adapter, but I would be surprised if you don't have it.

When I find myself in a similar situation I typically start looking at some retailers, I have always been partial to Newwegg.com, and see what looks like a decent stuff in my price range.

I think go to places like Tomshardware.com and look for graphics card benchmarks to see how things stack up and find something middle of the road with a good price.

In your case I would avoid older cards that are Overclocked and stick with something newer that is towards the entry level side of performance. Overclocking is a way to squeeze extra performance out of a certain technology by upgrading the cooling etc. You have a higher chance of running into issues with those types of cards.

If you can get us the exact model number of your mobo we can give you more details and give you some reccomendations for cards that will match up well with your chipset.

Edit: Just remembered your posted the Computer model number. By refurbished into a desktop were any of the internal components changed? If not I can find the specs from that.

Edited by bleedred 12/26/2020 12:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)