AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Top Producer Came Today IFF Again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 4/12/2009 11:30 (#677708 - in reply to #677628)
Subject: RE: Top Producer Came Today IFF Again

Elmira, Ontario

Based on a quick reading of the article, the 28/acre was to purchase shares in the management company and is a one time purchase with payments over four years. Later in the article it talks about an exit plan where you can get that money back, I think without any interest.

Like investing in any business, you are taking risks that someone else or the business itself is able to buy your shares back. Alternatively, that the benefits of belonging to this club returned you enough additional profit that you could afford to write off the share purchase.

The whole thing sounds like you're buying into a coop, but the services offered aren't seed or fertilizer, but management advice and expertise.

I'm not defending or criticising the concept. However, if I were cash crop farming, I would want to study this idea very closely just so I know the strengths and weaknesses of those who are in the same business as me. Cancelling subscriptions like some have suggested seems counter-productive to me. The concept sounds legal, and may be viable. The farm press better be reporting on it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)