AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crp Breakout
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 9/3/2020 19:30 (#8474644 - in reply to #8473519)
Subject: RE: Crp Breakout

I wouldn't burn unless a last resort. Brush hogging can go a long way, ASAP when allowed followed by another like some have already advised.
Use RR traited beans at the least to be able to clean up grass escapes post. No till would be my choice.

I can tell a recent little story here. Broke out some 15 yr. old tree planting CRP last year. Didn't know for sure till spring of 2019 that it could not be re-enrolled.
Spent a lot of Feb. and March last year pulling out trees while a good friend of mine in same situation used a bulldozer to get trees out. I compromised not being able to finish before getting busy with planting season, so no-tilled 15 acres of beans late April into the 17 acre field, leaving some more work to be done around tree edge. Meanwhile friend then tilled up his soil after bulldozing, but then got caught with wet weather not getting his beans in till late June, maybe early July, not sure. He's kinda landlocked with getting equip. in from the N., so was at the mercy of when the farmer that owns land to his S. could get to it. He ended up with a poor crop, that was never harvested.
This year went beans on beans on mine, no-tilled again late April with now being able to synch it up with my field next to it where I can get both in a C-SB rotation starting next year. Once again will have decent beans, this year with 16 acres, maybe next year closer to the original 17 acres.
Friend's land got worked up again this year, and now what came out of CRP with good soil health is already showing what oxidizing with tillage can quickly do to timber type soils, as this year the mainly August flash drought here zinged his beans big time. Hope they're worth combining this year, but not sure. At least he doesn't have a few volunteer trees sprouts/acre from some remaining living tree roots trying to hang on a little longer like in mine, but .................. just a thought, that a lot of lighter type soils was put into CRP. It can come out in good shape most the time with a renewed chance to remain productive, but may need a little more care in staying in good shape. jmo
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)