AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your ideas for on farm research
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 8/2/2020 08:45 (#8410328 - in reply to #8409281)
Subject: RE: Your ideas for on farm research

BronsonA2150 - 8/1/2020 17:18

recklessharry - 8/1/2020 15:46

I would love to see some unbiased, true side-by-side studies done on the ROI of "precision" planter upgrades vs a basic planter. Not just the "X% better singularity or depth consistency" but actual yield increase. Seems like most studies point to effectiveness based on the assumption that perfectly spaced seed pays big dividends.

Me too. I just can’t see spending the thousands on a lot of the precision planting hardware without seeing actual yield benefits
Id bet a pretty good steak supper at the restaurant of your choice a decked out planter with all the goodies will show a consistent higher yield than an ordinary spring downpressure Deere or Kinze. What I will not bet is,was the cost totally offset by the increased yield, which is where you have a question in your mind, rightfully so. But you need to consider this aspect, as for many it’s the main reason for planter upgrades to products such as AgLeaders new Suredrive and simple hydraulic downforce, and that is considerably more acres covered per day. All the while achieving all the other inherent benefits that go along with the individual electric meters and delivery systems. If I can take a 12 row planter and cover 80% of the acres per day of a 24 row, that’s significant. On a little more than half the horsepower tractor necessary a 24 row requires. If I’m going to retrofit my planter, it’s gonna be for increased planting speed first without sacrificing placement and thus ultimately higher yields also as the main way to recoup a portion of my investment. The other portion is recouped not by getting an ROI on what i spent on upgrades, but what I saved by not having to buy a bigger planter and tractor (the cost of which is far greater than converting 12 rows over to high tech and trading tractors to much greater horsepower)to achieve my goals. Make sense?

Edited by Boone & Crockett 8/2/2020 21:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)