AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your ideas for on farm research
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 8/3/2020 07:10 (#8412166 - in reply to #8411906)
Subject: RE: Your ideas for on farm research

rty - 8/2/2020 22:40

I'd love to see more research on this topic also, from someone who isn't selling the parts. Farmers have dumped a lot of money on planter upgrades in the past 5 years.

I understand what you're saying about going faster with a smaller planter, but there are lots of ways to look at it. I think I'd actually go the other way. I'm not in the market for a planter, but when I've looked in the past it seems there are lots of good deals on 5-10 year old planters that don't have all the latest stuff on them, but still a good amount of useful features (central fill/row shutoffs/variable rate drives). And since everyone is upgrading their planters to precision and high speed stuff, the market on good used OEM planter parts is totally saturated - I'm amazed at how cheap things like complete OEM meter assemblies, for example, sell on Facebook marketplace during the winter. So I'd consider buying a used planter that's a size bigger than I need, rebuild it with all the cheap OEM takeoff parts, and end up with a like-new planter a size bigger than I need instead of a high speed planter that's a size smaller than I'd need without high speed, possibly for less money. Is this a better approach for me? Not sure, that's why I'm always interested to see more data on it.
Valid points for sure. Be a fun study to take on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)