AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which generation seen the most changes to make life better???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 7/12/2020 13:02 (#8369250 - in reply to #8369044)
Subject: RE: Which generation seen the most changes to make life better???

North of London
I think change has always been happening but it does seem to be speeding up.

My grandmother is one example I think about.
Born in a log cabin close to a stream fro water in 1882.
No decent roads at that time as this area was still being cleared.
Her father used to walk a bag of grain out to a mill. warterpowered, downstream from their cabin following a foot path along the stream and then walk the processed 'flour' back for cooking.
Then the surveyed road allowances were gradually cleared as she remembers travelling on a trail that followed the general road allowance around large stones, tree stumps and water holes.

Houses were gradually replaced closer to road allowance instead of huddled along the stream.
Married in 1908 and they bought a car in 1920ies which was put on blocks during the winter because roads were not plowed in winter.
They did get hydro in the early 30ies when it was built up the road but many things remained powered by other sources or unavailable until much later but did have lights most of the time without kerosene lamps.
However I even remember lots of time with lamps when power was down for varying lengths of time.
I also remember water still being pumped with the windmill, no refrigeration and a wood cookstove that was moved to the summer kitchen in the hot months so it did not heat up the main house while cooking meals or canning all the produce to see the family through the winter.
I also remember picking through the potato bin for some good enough to cook as spring came as store bought food amounts to flower and sugar with some coffee or tea as a treat
Ice cream was also a treat brought home a store if someone returning close to meal time because it all had to be eaten then or it would melt with no refrigeration

Yes much change in my lifetime
Slide rules for math calculations and then calculators that would at least add and subtract as well as a few other operations
First computer a large machine and screen with enough capacity to look like a toy compared to the little phone in my pocket now.

And on and on it goes
What will we look back from 2030 and see that we never even imagined today?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)