AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar corridor 2020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 6/29/2020 22:27 (#8344349 - in reply to #8343381)
Subject: RE: Solar corridor 2020

So how does a young farmer start out. Well,there's many diverse paths, but in my case right out of school one of the first things I did was buy 21 acres in 1979. Had trouble getting a loan to do it, as apparently a Pinto with 120,000 miles on it's second engine didn't impress the 1st 2 lenders I tired. Didn't impress the 3rd one either, but let him know I had a good town job and would work all the OT I could get. The wife has always been very supportive and also worked 2 jobs when we were young. Might say we took adv. of our youth.
Then was able to rent some land, and in 85 after land prices had crashed, bought another 80. First 10 years I farmed, had less than $10,000 invested in machinery, instead working for other farmers when I could and leasing their equip. when it worked. Worked in town for 20 years before I got to an economic point where I thought I could quit. Not that simple, other factors involved, and continued to buy land that was close when opportunities arose.
One main key for me was no-till, which I started doing in 1983. Quickly changed timber and HEL ground into ground that competed pretty well with land out on the prairie while also keeping my machinery inputs at a low level. The no-till was key getting through the dry years in 87, 88 and 89 in good shape during a tough time for farm economics in general. One of the biggest contrast I've ever seen was having 50 bu. no-till beans in 89 while across the fence the beans weren't worth combining in more conv. worked soil.
Never got big, had some potential opportunities I turned down or didn't pursue, as I didn't feel the need or had the desire to do as 500 acres tillable provided and continues to provide a good living for us.
So, got lucky with timing no doubt, but there's always some opportunities for young guys, We're still a Country of many and great opportunities imo.
I now mostly plant green into c. rye with both corn and beans, and hope to get done planting before May. When I can do that, canopying or near canopy by mid June is pretty consistent. Also nice to get beans in before multiple bird species nest out there, from Mallards to woodcock and a bunch IDK. 30" corn, drilled beans, and have never ever bought any tillage equip Main tractor over the years till recently was a Case 970, bought for $4500. Can't seem to wear it out, close to 9,000 hours and still doesn't use any oil, although I'm trying as I'm using it lately to post spray beans while in road gear.
When I grew up in the 60's, local creeks were often knee high in silt. Now they can pretty much keep themselves cleaned out with their natural rock bottoms as the greatly reduced erosion doesn't overwhelm them, unlike the dammed up river which no longer can and continues to lose capacity.
My perspective would likely be different if I farmed more NHEL ground, where I think organic has a much better fit.
10" rain today talked about up above. Somewhere gets hit every year. Hate those kind of events, but they can and do happen. If that hit here tomorrow, it'd be bad, but hate to think what cultivated exposed soil on HEL ground would do. Kinda know, as I've seen enough of it over the years. Fill in, level off and repeat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)