AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar corridor 2020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 6/30/2020 04:00 (#8344504 - in reply to #8344349)
Subject: RE: Solar corridor 2020

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
See you aren't at all part of the herd. Basically described the farm I grew up on. Minus our 970 became a 2290 and then a 2294 and then a magnum. All HEL land in my career until my recent lease. Very similar to what you did is how my family farmed. Bought a 750 drill after using a 7000 deere planter to notill with before that. Did that until switching to strip till in 2007. Been 30" strip till since 2009. Try to always do that into covers at least on the soybean side. Ag econ was my favorite college class. Anyone that made it through the 80's knows sacrifice and I'm blessed with a terrific memory and watched my family struggle as we moved because our first farm was taken back from us. My dad had to work in town and til this day still does even though he wouldn't have to. But I'm well educated and very much not afraid to work as until this year my life has been a blur with the hours I've put in trying to be able to farm. 2004 is when I came home and that started high land prices and investment in farmland being the new trend here. I still own no farms as it simply can not pencil unless it's a tillable or you are given a break by someone wanting the next generation to have a chance. And they don't. They all have a story like yours and had to work like crazy to get there. And why would they, someone will pay $250 cash rent. Give it to them. Even with a cheap machinery fleet that makes for a really pathetic cash flow. It's one thing to have a town job to support and build a farm. Its another to lose money to just say you farm. Or just break even and maintain. I lived both and I would gladly have the battles my dad did over what the young farmers in my area face today. They are one tiny crowd now. I'm glad your shared your story. Made me smile thinking about my childhood. Im also always glad to hear when someone had great support from a spouse to chase a dream. That alone is worth far more than anything else. It's great to hear what you have accomplished on the conservation side too. I get to meet with tiling company today about a terrace project and some mains for the farm I lease long term. Very excited as I am a huge fan of soil staying on his farm. I will be adding waterways and borders this fall too. I hope 2020 is good to you. And don't break the 970 they don't make them like that anymore. Ours was called tornado....had a straight pipe and couldn't be missed pulling wagons.....my uncle used it more like a 1370 at times lol. Have a great day.

Edited by DobsonAG 6/30/2020 04:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)