AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Piggies.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmertom311
Posted 5/26/2020 14:42 (#8281429 - in reply to #8281263)
Subject: RE: Piggies.

Monticello ky
Kooiker - 5/26/2020 13:43

farmertom311 - 5/26/2020 12:13 I don’t know how you can say that. Vert integrations is what has directly lead to the larger model of packing plants.

I'm not sure you know what "vertical integration" is.     Big does not necessarily = vertically integrated.    Small does not necessarily rule out being vertically integrated.     There are lots of small operations that take their product from the farm to the plate, that is vertical integration.

Lower costs/head to operate the plant has lead to larger packing plants.   Its called efficiency.     Just like efficiency has lead to larger everything in agriculture its lead to larger livestock operations and larger packing plants.

There's a 20,000 hd/day packing plant in Sioux Falls SD that has been there for 100+ yrs.    No it didn't always kill 20,000 hd/day, but it is the same building.    They've become more efficient with new machinery and added a second shift to make the plant more profitable.

Yes I know there are farm to plate operations that fit the vertical integration definition. You also know that’s not what I’m talking about. Pictured below are our 6 very vertical integrated broiler houses. I know full well what it means. I also know shutting our kill plant down would stop 250000 (I think) chickens a day from entering the food supply. We have very literally put all our eggs in just a few baskets and made Tyson and JBS rich while putting our fellow farmers out of business.

(0AAEAA54-872F-4D0B-A4A5-9D07EF478A10 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0AAEAA54-872F-4D0B-A4A5-9D07EF478A10 (full).jpeg (124KB - 69 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)