AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buehler
Posted 5/23/2020 15:09 (#8275497 - in reply to #8275130)
Subject: RE: Tillage thoughts

Scott City KS
Jbneb - 5/23/2020 09:50

I've been notill for quite awhile and have had good luck. Between better yields and now 20 inch rows, starting to find problems. Going notill into corn residue was a battle this spring and row cleaners can only do so much. Seems like it stays plenty damp underneath the residue also. Corn was slow to come up in areas bc of lots of bean residue and even corn from the year before. Looking to maybe till with just 1 pass and wondering what might work best. Fall disk, spring disk, vertical something, high speed something? Just curious if there is a place between dealing with residue and getting a smooth planter ride in one trip over the field. Thanks for any input.

Preface: I’m trying to do the opposite. I want to keep as much on the ground as I can.

If it were me I’d get your combine as tight as you can first.

Get a chopping head. That will size it better and let your row cleaners work better and it will break down faster.

As far as beans If you don’t have a chopper get one and set it as aggressively as possible.

All that would be in the neighborhood of a tillage tool. And even distribution of residue is a better approach than tillage IMO.

Take that FWIW. (Not a lot)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)