AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jbneb
Posted 5/24/2020 06:48 (#8276444 - in reply to #8276338)
Subject: RE: Tillage thoughts

Nebraska
Thanks for all of the responses and I'll try to answer some of the questions. As for the combine pass, I do have a chopper and it does spread evenly so not much to fix there. More of a mat of residue that causes the problem when 1 row cleaner digs a little more than the next. The stalks I leave maybe a foot tall or so. Biologicals I have heard about and only seen around here a couple times. They didnt seem to do a lot so I guess I dont have a lot of faith yet. Cover crops might be a great idea but the management is something I dont know about yet. Also have seen a number of studies in this area where the cover has slowed the crop and yielded less just as often as more. The Kuhn excelerator doesnt look bad, so thanks for that suggestion. My row cleaners only doing so much, what I meant was with the amount of 20 inch residue, I almost have to plow with them to get it all out of the way. Then I leave big piles between rows that blow back on the row. Or I cant do that bc its damp underneath all the residue and I bring up mud. Just seems like 1 trip to bury a little of the trash would help this. I run fixed shark tooth cleaners, maybe I need to look at something different there so I dont have to plow as much, not sure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)