AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop termination timing for soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 3/24/2020 08:16 (#8134164 - in reply to #8129342)
Subject: RE: Cover crop termination timing for soybeans?

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
We are in the same boat here in the south. My rye is 3 foot tall with the head starting out, the triticale is jointing, and even the oats that always been real sleepy, have woke up! I have rye where corn is intended, it needs to be planted at this height, I like to plant green, then terminate the cover, or terminate right in front of the planter. We normally would be planting by now, but we are extremely wet, getting wetter as I type this. I may have to terminate before planting.
Soybeans are going into the oats, and triticale. I have planted through headed out rye before without crimping, made very good beans, but they got very tall, I think the only thing that saved me from lodging is that I don't push populations. We probably had a final stand of 110k. I personally like shorter covers for beans, my reason for using the oats.
To address your question, ... I would wait as long as possible, but watch those mares tail, I would say they will determine burndown timing. If making 2 passes, I would still let the weeds make the decision. Watch for sucking pests on the clover, we had a huge issue with alfalfa hoppers when we used crimson before beans. Used Bifenthrin in burndown, treated beans, etc. to avoid issues. Im a true no till guy, I don't like the turbo till idea, but that's me, hell I don't like row cleaners disturbing the residue, it might hold down a weed from emerging.
Btw, we are removing no till coulters, row cleaners, etc from planters more and more. After 10+ years of no till and covers we are finding they cause more trouble than they are worth planting green. You will be surprised how much better planting green works!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)