AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Traditional type Baked Beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 3/4/2020 06:54 (#8081234 - in reply to #8078984)
Subject: RE: Traditional type Baked Beans

Thumb of Michigan
https://www.michiganbeanfestival.com/

This is in my home town. Its heresy to even consider making baked beans or bean soup with anything other than Navy Beans grown in the Thumb of Michigan. People will fight you if you have an opinion different than that. Most women have a bean recipe, and will take it to their grave rather than risk the neighbor woman getting is somehow.

There, now that I've set that stage: we used to grow pinto's for a few years here, black turtles, as well as light red kidneys. Still a lot of blacks and small reds grown around. Navies aren't quite as common anymore. I liked the flavor of pinto's, almost as much as navies. Its a little different textured bean, doesn't make it bad though. I never have acquired the taste for black beans, and we used to grow quite a few of those. With that said: the key to any bean is how old it is. New crop beans of any variety make the best bean dishes. I would guess that you can get new beans if you look for them. Not sure anymore where pinto's are grown in Michigan, they just didn't work over here. Too much plant, too viney, and they weren't real tall plant architecture. We only tried them twice, but I know other areas really liked them.

When you say "traditional" baked beans, what does that entail? I've had a lot of different baked beans, most have varying degrees of brown sugar added as well as some other pretty top secret additions......,

Edited by pat-michigan 3/4/2020 06:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)