AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying Your First Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 3/1/2009 16:38 (#627717 - in reply to #627635)
Subject: Re: Buying Your First Farm

North Western Alberta
Had a dream since I was a kid to farm. Finally at age 32 was able to buy a quarter. My dad, who didnt farm also bought a quarter( there was a half for sale) Slowly used cash to buy some machinery, and now have been farming for 3 years. My old nieghbour, who became a freind of mine, offered me his 400 acres to rent. ( may he rest in peace) My dad rents me his home quarter, and the other quarter...and I bought another quarter about three years ago, with a house on it. SO, I have about 850 acres of cultivated land to seed and farm. Unfortunately, the last three years, my first three of farming have been super dry here, so we have been losing money. That, and mined soil, has not been kind to us. I hope I can hang on, but this will be the last year if we dont get some decent crops.

ALot of my freinds and family all say "quit!" but its either in ya or it isnt. Farming is a terrible disease. LOL What a great way to live though. My dream is to get to 2000 or 2500 acres some day, so I dont have to work full time, and farm. Id like to get to where I can just farm, and do that well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)