AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you give back to your community?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Wheatsurfer
Posted 2/27/2009 15:19 (#625194 - in reply to #625011)
Subject: RE: You may have given more than you think

Whoa ease up a little there 95h, it sounds like your jaw may be clenched awfully tight. That kind of thing isn’t good for your health long term. It is true that I haven’t walked in your shoes or around your community, still I can’t help but think there is more to the story then what you have written. Here are some examples from my community that I believe may be true for your community as well.
My fire dept. and EMS and schools… are not fully funded by taxes. Each year hundreds of people donate money, volunteer time, give free goods and services to make up the shortfall that tax funding doesn’t cover, which some call giving back. At the same time these entities have often gone way beyond their job descriptions and that too is called giving back.
When the fire and EMS help someone with cancer or other undeserved personal crisis that is called giving back. When someone at the schools makes sure that a kid has all the pencils and paper… they need, or someone makes sure that every kid has gloves hat and coat in the winter, or when someone helps guide a kid away from drugs or other problems; that isn’t in their job description, it’s called giving back or better yet giving forward.
Now on churches it would be easy for me right now to put them down. Our church is going through a thing right now where a bunch of the members are acting in a less than Christian way MHO. On the other hand I know of all the giving our church and the other churches in our area do. Some times when people that have been helped get back on their feet they want to show their appreciation so they may give something back. It is not necessary but it is wonderful because it helps the next person who needs help.
Giving back to your community is not repaying a debt. It is giving of your own free will. At it’s very best it is not so much giving back as it is giving forward. I would encourage you to not get hung up on whether you have been “given something in the first place”. Reading of your actions at work makes me think that perhaps you too have gone beyond your job description at times and given forward. Way to go! I am sorry to hear of your injuries and firing. I was wondering, did you work for a state run or private run facility?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)