AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much cost to cut horns off of yearling heifers at you vet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

beanplanter
Posted 7/11/2019 10:18 (#7608600 - in reply to #7608228)
Subject: RE: A little more accurate breakdown of the bill.

Missouri

School Of Hard Knock - 7/11/2019 05:39 4 head ..17.50 for the office call. ...200 for dehorning ....45.88 banamine .....2.17 for the catron. ......265.55 total.

Your figures reveal something that many practices are making a habit out of. Your 45.88 paid for a 250ml bottle of Banamine, a syringe, and a pair of needles. How much did they use? I know it's Rx, but did they offer to let you take the rest of the bottle home? You didn't say how big the calves were, but was it really even a 250ml bottle?

I had some sticker shock this spring when pulling a bill out of the mailbox. It was a nice reminder of why I quit using that practice nearly a decade ago. Even if I ignored their semen check fee, which was significant considering he obviously doesn't understand the importance of machine rhythm and working with the bull to get a sample, it was still way too high. Bill revealed we used a single dose of a vaccine, but I was billed for a 50 dose bottle of that vaccine. I'm 90% sure he pulled from a 10 dose bottle. I understand having to toss left over materials, but he has a pretty good idea of how many cows I have, knows there's various pens of ranging ages that all lead to the chute, and that it was spring vacc season. I probably would have tossed the 10 dose bottle myself, but I would have tried to use part of a left over 50 dose bottle on something.  On top of that, there was a 16' trailer pulling in behind me that day with a couple bawling calves needing worked. I'm betting that guy bought the same 50 dose bottle I did and used 4 of the remaining 9 in the original 10 dose bottle.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)