AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much cost to cut horns off of yearling heifers at you vet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Brown Cow
Posted 7/10/2019 23:18 (#7608021 - in reply to #7607805)
Subject: RE: How much ost to cut horns off of yearling heifers at you vet

SW Wisconsin
I’ve dehorned some with larger horns, generally lock them up and saw with a sharp saw, then burn. Don’t leave nubs: Cut them flat with the skull or they’ll keep growing, and they still get half use out of blunted horns. If you can, wait until everything is frozen. At this point you will leave holes in the skull that can get maggots and infection. I’ve flushed a few with hydrogen peroxide and dry cow treatment, and I don’t think I’ve lost any from dehorning that way, but I’d rather wait until everything is frozen and it has time to heal over. I did have a group of short-bred heifers that I dehorned in August one year, and two of them got pretty badly infected and lost their calves. The rest were fine.

As far as price $75 seems really high, especially leaving them long. I think when I was having somebody do it I was paying on the order of $5/head. They have nerves and blood vessels all the way out to the end of the horn, I really don’t think it’s any harder on the animal to cut them short. I left an inch on a couple of springing heifers that I bought a few years back because I was afraid of them losing their calves, no issue with that but they’re still bullies and one uses her horn to open the barn door.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)