AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I think I just got (indirectly) hit by lightning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 7/11/2019 11:13 (#7608677 - in reply to #7608473)
Subject: RE: I think I just got (indirectly) hit by lightning

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

havin’funfarming - 7/11/2019 08:55 It sounds like you saw ball lightning. People have claimed to have seen ball lightning do really strange things like float slowly through windows, roll along the ground, and pass through walls. Many scientists didn’t believe it could exist. It wasn’t very long ago that it was proven that it does exist. I’m curious. Did what you experienced happen really fast or did it seem to take longer than it should? The way you describe seeing the path it travelled suggests that it didn’t happen very fast. I saw it once as a kid. We were harvesting a field by our house and it was late at night. There was a thunderstorm on the horizon heading our way. The air had that unique smell to it that you just knew it was only a matter of time. There was a crazy amount of lightning that lit up the sky so I could see the combine quite clearly against the storm in the background. Suddenly, there were several bright balls in the distance, falling from the sky. They fell for several seconds each, I would guess 5-10 seconds, before disappearing. I don’t think any of them made it to the ground. At the time I had no idea what they could have been. I can’t remember for sure how I first heard of ball lightning but I am fairly certain it would have been from the World Book Encyclopedia as they were my “google” in those days. I’ve watched for it ever since but I’ve never seen it again.

I imagine you're 100% correct. It did seem to happen in slo-mo...... me like a doofus, standing there watching it move toward me. It did follow the electrical conduit from the fuel barrel straight into the building, and I'd always assumed that was due to the interaction between the power supply and the electricity in the lightening. I just know it was a pretty strange feeling for a while afterwards. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)