AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Northern corn belt vs central corn belt mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 6/22/2019 19:24 (#7575504)
Subject: Northern corn belt vs central corn belt mentality

Southern MN
Went on a little trip yesterday up highway 71 then over to Marshall MN west from there a few miles into SD, then came back parallel to the MN - SD border to I90. A few observations along the way was not much prevent plant, in fact almost none to Marshall. Also the amount of c on c up to that point was kind of amazing. Late planted corn on corn. West and north of Marshall more PP and a lot of 3-5” tall corn, in fact majority of the corn was that size. When I got to my destination I spoke with the semi-retired farmer I went to see for a while. He said he had planned on 100% PP but had a neighbor rent several of his farms at the last minute and planted it all to corn around June 5th. As I went south from there definitely much more PP, around Lake Benton I would say there was a short stretch where It was probably 50-80% PP, again tallest corn 3-5” tall. Most corn looked good except for the size, as all of these areas looked like they were starting to dry out. I am guessing much of this corn was planted June 1 or later?

I stopped to eat and was reading NAT as I was waiting for my food and again there were several more posts about corn that was ankle high and the need for a perfect growing season for it to make corn. As I looked through them I noticed almost all of them were from Illinois, Indiana and central and southern Iowa, and I believe that has been the pattern for several weeks. Was curious so I did a little looking at average frost dates between Marshall MN and champagne Illinois and looks like first average frost date is about 10-15 days later and the average 28 degree temperature is almost 20 days later. So are us guys in the Northern belt just that much more accustomed to weather adversity, (especially cool wet) than our friends farther south? Kind or a been there done that mentality? Maybe we are just not very bright? Seems to be kind of an it will work out thought process and if it doesn’t that is why we buy crop insurance mentality.

For you guys farther south a few observations from my own experiences. I will not guarantee that you corn will make a crop, but after the disaster we had in our backyard in 2018 you will be more than likely to be okay and probably surprised how good your corn is if we have normal weather from here on out. My biggest fear based on our own late springs is if you never dry out. Continuously water logged corn does not grow, especially if it is cooler than normal. Been there done that. Also I have no idea how your pollination being pushed to the end of July and early August will affect yields as you are obviously hotter than we are during that period. I am sure you will have some other challenges that we do not face based on you local.

So for you in the central and farther south corn belt relax a little. You are not alone. The board of trade is paying attention because you are south of the I-90 corridor and you matter. Have no idea how this year will turn out, it sure is going to be interesting no matter what part of the corn belt you are from. And get your LP booked!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)