AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Father son working relationship advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 6/20/2019 07:41 (#7570012 - in reply to #7540126)
Subject: RE: Father son working relationship advice

SC Wisconsin
Im 29 years old, so this is something i have kind of experienced in the last decade of my life. I, like most 19-22 year olds, knew everything and didnt get along with my dad well at all. There was a short time there that we didn't even talk. Not even real sure why, we just couldnt open our mouths without it being a pissing match. My parents farm isnt big enough to support another family anyways, and dad was unwilling to expand the livestock side to grow even though thats all i wanted to do. I ended up getting a job at a factory on third shift doing grunt work for $8.50 an hour. I will not force, but rather insist any child of mine gets a job in town like i did. It provides many opportunities to learn, both new skills and how to deal with people. Also, someone above complained about people being "lazy" because they choose to golf a couple days a week or whatever. In my opinion, if someone can afford it and they enjoy it, who cares what they do in their spare time? It sounds like jealousy to me. They habe every right to enjoy their life, their enjoyment happens to come from golfing. Also, i think working the off farm job can bring a whole new appreciation for the work we do just taking care of livestock and the land. I know it did for me. I ended up buying my own house and 40 acres, raise cattle and spend every day dreaming of how to make it full time at home and quit the town job. I will also add, the town job has allowed me to grow my own operation much faster than if i would have just started out farming from the get go. I spend all my income from my job buying equipment, cattle, feed etc so it can grow faster as well as saving up to build more cattle barns. Dad and i get along great now, i keep a pen of steers over at my parents place and i usually make it a point to give him a call if i go a couple days without seeing him.

Mark twains quote sums up my dad and i relationship in my late teens early 20's. "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."--Mark Twai

Edited by jcolli140 6/20/2019 07:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)