AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Father son working relationship advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 6/4/2019 04:58 (#7540203 - in reply to #7540126)
Subject: RE: Father son working relationship advice

Columbia City, Indiana
Border - 6/3/2019 23:35

I know it’s hard to work with family sometimes. Maybe I’m young and dumb but I have been thinking how I would handle the situation if I had a son or daughter that wanted to farm.

1. Make them get an off the farm job to start out could be farming but on a different operation

2. Make business decisions without them in mind. It is your business treat it like one.

3. If they return make them an employee on your operation or let them manage a segment of your operation if you believe they are capable. And gradually give them more control if they want it. Set goals and hold them accountable but let them make their own decisions. Keep operations separate in case things don’t workout.

4. Help them by not helping them. Let them struggle and learn.

5. Don’t give them things and then hold those things over them. This might cause resentment.

6. Support them and their decisions. Help if they ask but if it’s not your business it’s not your business. Goes both ways.

Maybe I will think differently down the road.

At the very least, I’d say 1-5 sound like a great recipe for an old man farming all alone whose kids live 2 hours away and bring their kids out to sit on grandpa’s tractor once a year. Jmho. Let them see the business side, and teach them it’s a business. Anybody can drive a tractor, not just anybody can manage a farm. Again, my opinion.

Edited by NEIndiana 6/4/2019 05:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)