AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To buy hay mower/baler or not? advice needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 5/24/2019 19:27 (#7518822 - in reply to #7518567)
Subject: RE: To buy hay mower/baler or not? advice needed

At 15 an acre to cut and 18 a bale for a tight 5x6 1600lbs plus bale I assure you, you will not be able to do it that cheap. At 100 bales a year. Say you have a gallon of diesel per bale that's 300. Your time is worth $5 an Hour? Set Of knives and half a roll of netwrap $200.
That's $1000 in it before you even buy equipment and repairs. Much less the land used for hay. Even if you get a cutter and baler for $10000 anduse it for 5 years that's 2k a year.
So you have 3k a year. Not sure what hay cost in your area but that's 30 a bale.
Having your own equipment/baling your own land makesit worth while if you can bale enough to hoard it up eventually. Also you know the feed quality.

You didn't seem 100% u're about the custom hire rate but in my area you are not going to get hay baled for 15 cut 18 bale. Then agian maybe y'all make 3 bale an acre easily.

If you can get good 40-50$ 5x6 bales that have a good forage test that is the best deal. Remember you getting someone else's fertilizer.

I bought a Vermeer rancher 665 with 1500 bales on it for 10k. That was a really good deal and is a good baler. I plan in putting 10,000 bales through it.

Edited by StxPecans 5/24/2019 19:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)