AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming and living in the flood plain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 4/14/2019 21:20 (#7439867 - in reply to #7439629)
Subject: RE: Farming and living in the flood plain

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
agriducks - 4/14/2019 18:04

To some of you it's as simple as don't build in a floodplain. But for those of us born and raised in one it's totally different. These weren't high risk areas 50 years ago, up until 1993 the highest river ever here was less than 43 feet. Since 93 it has exceeded that with increasing regularity. The majority of us here firmly believe it is a direct correlation to the thousands of dikes the corps has put in to make navigation possible without dredging. ( saving themselves tons of money) If it's a place your family has spent all of their lives there, you have multiple mortgages, you are involved in your church, school board, or any number of community projects , you would see it's not as easy as "just don't build in a flood plain"! The government built these levees in my area in the 1940's as a way to ensure food production and whatever they thought was important at the time.
If I could relocate I wouldn't hesitate to sell everything and 1031 some ground right next to some of you that say the government shouldn't be bailing us out. Wouldn't bother me a bit to pay a fraction of what we do for crop insurance. But since the government is getting out of the business of helping farmers the crop insurance won't be affordable now would it? Might as well drop the tax exemption on machinery while we're at it too. The list could go on and on so I'll leave it at that. We all in one way or another benefit in one way or another from one or more government programs in our lifetime, it's just a fact of life. What bothers me is people should really think when commenting on something they may not be all that familiar with the details of how the circumstances came about.
Thanks, the rain is starting to get to me! lol

FWIW, there are already places where machinery is subject to sales and property taxes.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)