AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 4/14/2019 12:57 (#7438822 - in reply to #7438250)
Subject: RE: Another Planter?

WC Mn/Dakotas
It depends on your management and your labor. My brother has evolved to a db88 but still wanted a 2nd planter to get a 1-1500 acres done a little sooner (before a possible rain) get done in 7-9 days instead of 9-12 days. Bought a db44 and put a 40 year employee in it. This employee used to be one of main planter and harvest operators 20 years earlier but has not much interest in modern tech equipment and has become more of a driver imho. Brother had to stop big planter every time "driver" of little planter had an issue. Reality was he probably was a wash at best. To me he had 2 options. 1: explain new tech and how important it is to the operation to the employee and train them to be current operator rather than accept them saying they just want to be a driver. 2: work a little longer (or more efficient) day with your 1 big planter. Which would mean doing 1 more quarter each day to go from 9 days to 7 days with the db88, thats about 3-4hrs more.

I think farm managers need to convey importance of being an operator and how technology is a vital part of todays farm. Train them, make laminated cheat sheets, push them to stay current, reward them for staying current.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)