AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 4/14/2019 09:43 (#7438562 - in reply to #7438250)
Subject: RE: Another Planter?

Nw Iowa
We run 24hrs when ground stays dry enough over night ( some springs not a problem other springs almost impossible here, basically moisture coming up and heavy dew). Also need big enough fields to run on. Probably 3 out of 6 or 7 days. Run second planter in beans when we can. We could not finish all acres in a week unless both planters ran every hour which is not even possible. We do run two field cultivators but only 12-14 hrs a day. Corn usually starts around 15-20 of April and we hit corn as hard as possible and than start beans last week of April on a normal year.( what is normal anymore) we have pretty heavy clay soils so unless a really dry spring it is almost never all ready same time. Perfect spring would be 10 good days without a moisture event but I don’t know if that has happened more than 3 or 4 times in my 40 some years of planting. As I have said before if I could plant it all in 3 or 4 days I don’t which days I would pick as it seems like you never know what was a good day till corn comes up. Conditions could be perfect but get a cold freezing rain and that is field you have most problems. We have to plant everyday conditions are fit and always surprises me what is best corn and what is worse. We are trying to bring younger guys in to the farm so are using labor rather than equipment and has really worked quite well so far but is stressful as everything has to go and breakdowns are really a killer even smaller ones. We have went away from starter as we have a lot of livestock manure and 1 less thing to go wrong and weight.

Edited by jdironman 4/14/2019 17:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)