AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much fertilizer can be put in strip till ahead of corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 3/25/2019 08:12 (#7400022 - in reply to #7399874)
Subject: RE: How much fertilizer can be put in strip till ahead of corn?

ecmn
yadayada - 3/25/2019 06:32

Does the 1/2 rate of fertilizer work for you because you have the soil life and cover crops working for you or did you cut it in half the first year you strip-tilled?

I think one part of why we see a very good crop response to fertility in strip versus broadcast is our soils. The top couple inches get very dry and tight roots are not going to grow through that and there is no movement of nutrients in that top couple inches when it's like that. When the fertility is down lower in the soil profile where there is always moisture then we know there is always life and nutrient transfer.

I cut the p in the k in half because the University of Minnesota had decades worth of Trials between banded vs. Broadcast showing the efficiency of banding and how they've had very good luck withdrawing same crop or better crop deep bandingWithdrawing same crop or better crop banding fertilizer versus broadcast.

The AMS fertilizer when we did broadcast we would put 60 lbs down ahead of planter and then come back in top dress with 60 pounds at knee high. So the first year of strip we put 60 lb in strip and at knee-high had no sulfur deficiency so I left it and it worked out great. In broadcast usually apply 60 lb ahead of planter and would start to show some sulfur striping right around that knee high.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)