AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 quarter section bare field, would you put pivots on it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 3/19/2019 21:33 (#7390033 - in reply to #7389298)
Subject: RE: 2 quarter section bare field, would you put pivots on it?

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
OSUBucks - 3/19/2019 13:26

Yeah, APH is 210, but this year did 255 and it wasn't even a perfect year. If we could have had a 2 inch rain in early July, woulda blew the roof off. If we had irrigation we could have kept the canopy cooler(imo) and added bushels, and also knowing that we are gonna have water every year, jack up the planting rate even more to 35,000+ on varities that are proven to increase with pop.

There are quite a few times here that June gets pretty dry for a 2 week stretch, to the point it slows down the growth of soy , thus having less nodes =less yield. APH 67, I would be disappointed with under 80 or 85 in a normal to dry year. We get really wet years about 1 outta 5, but even in those years, its either too dry early then wet, or wet to early and then dry. So that adds into the equation. Also same with fungicides and foliars as corn, add as needed.

Also are soils like to crust so we can check that off, and also crop insurance would be alot more minimal.

I like the idea of using fungicides, biological, or any other foo foo juice for trials ect, plus the convenience with pivots so I add that in with fertigation .

There isn’t a snowball’s chance in h€\\ that I would put a pivot on a field that could grow 210 bushel corn without one.

Any day you think you would be irrigating, just go to the local gym and work out for a couple of hours. It’ll take less time, be cheaper, and you will sweat less than you would irrigating. Maybe drop one of the weights on your foot occasionally if you’re still looking for more punishment.

Edited by Big Ben 3/19/2019 21:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)