AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do I fix this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 3/18/2019 12:01 (#7387219 - in reply to #7387043)
Subject: RE: How do I fix this?

E. Kansas
For the outfits that keep calling, hang up right when you know who they are. I would just ignore the phone (maybe put it on silent) and anything sent in the mail would be marked "wrong address" and put back in the box without putting up the flag. The carrier will take the letter next trip. If your phone message says to leave name/number, that's letting those you want to talk to know that you want to get back to them. No reason to continue getting heckled and bullied on your phone.

Used to be you could get assistance from your phone company, leading up to law enforcement help too, and either get restraining orders on heckling callers or actually file phone harassment charges. I've heard quite a bit about that having family who worked for the phone company. Anymore, to get anything done like that would probably be a lot more complicated and the phone companies/etc would have little interest in it.

If the cops showed up again, I would first get my driver's license along with a utility bill, and then answer the door. I would have a polite talk with them that you are not the people who live at 202 N Nowhere St, nor are you related to them or have anything else involved with them. They need to quit mistaking who you are and wasting time coming to a location that has no involvement with whoever they're searching for.

The reason I say to get your DL before answering the door is that several years ago there were 2 sheriff cars that drove in here, and I didn't see them since I was fixing lunch. No one else here at the time. One sheriff comes to the door and asks who I am, because he said the land line was malfunctioning and they said it dialed 911. I told them everything was fine and 911 wasn't dialed from here and that I was the only person here. He said he had to see some identification, so I said I'll have to get my wallet and without any invitation whatsoever he followed me like a shadow to the table where my wallet was. I thought that was just a bit too much, coming to my place and demanding my ID and coming right on into my home. That's why I tell people to get their DL if they see the cops show up. Having a utility bill with your name/address in hand right then should further help identify yourself and that you live there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)