AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford Super Duty Diesel vs. Gas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kel1306
Posted 2/13/2019 10:22 (#7318014 - in reply to #7317022)
Subject: RE: Ford Super Duty Diesel vs. Gas

Wyoming
Well sort of...the FE engines that ford built 360/390/428 etc of the 60's and early 70's were called big blocks, bore space of 4.63" Yes, the 429/460 did go to the 4.9", but those were later in the timeline of ford built engines, so I dont neccesarily agree that 4.9 is the "definition" of the big block.

To me it's more of a marketing gimmick. No it doesn't fit in the classic slot of a big block, but it is a "big block " in that it is of the larger bore spacing of the engines available today.

Regardless I really like the simplicity of the engine. I like the pushrod design, it does away with those stupid over sized head. Plus just think, normal spark plugs and you might actually be able to see into the engine bay. I like the design of their exhaust manifold. Although not a true header, it comes close to equalizing the flow path length, and should optimize power production and heat removal. i like the hardened valves and valve seats. From what I see, unless there is a weak link, the longevity of the engine looks promising.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)