AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compaction Thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jkreuziger
Posted 2/7/2019 21:02 (#7305002 - in reply to #7303980)
Subject: RE: Compaction Thoughts

Juneau, WI
The conflict I have is I would like to speed up residue break down from corn harvest through the following summer's soybean crop then slow it down to retain some residue through the next spring. My best idea to accomplish that is to be aggressive with what goes through the corn rolls without creating a blanket of confetti, but leave the remaining stalk stand for as long as possible. I like the concept of using yield 360 chain rolls and leaving the rest of the stalk alone. Currently running Calmer BT Crushers (not the Choppers). There is almost no residue break down from harvest through spring on our farm especially if we get some soybeans planted in April. My opinion is the timing of spring rolling soybeans doesn't address the biggest residue issue we have, which is getting our soybeans started and nodulated. Once our soybeans get to summer the remaining residue doesn't seem to hurt much. If we were still doing corn following corn then I would be more willing to speed up the decay any time possible to avoid residue build up. There is a definite erosion issue created when we have rolled our soybeans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)