AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Compaction Thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Since1889
Posted 2/7/2019 13:02 (#7303780 - in reply to #7302864)
Subject: RE: Compaction Thoughts

S Mn
The brillion style I dont mind those i can tolerate, but the big smooth rollers i can not wrap my head around. What i have seen they increase erosion if anything. I've seen them wash more after a hard sping rain ive seen it done when its tacky and reduce stand significantly, and ive seen them blow dirt like crazy when we get strong spring winds. The seed to soil contact factor means nothing to me if you have that issue address it with your planter thats what a planter is supposed to do, or change your spring tillage practice. They have no value to me. Spent my whole life worrying about compaction now Im supposed to go drag a packer around to pack it back down? I have seen 60' rollers pulled with 4wd tractors, Never was i told that it was a good idea to drive a 4wd across a planted crop but now if we are pulling a roller its fine. The rock arguement, Just pick the rocks. I do understand there are areas where small rocks are very plentiful and that this is a better solution for those guys, but that is not where allot of them are being used. Someone give me math on how buying a $60,000 roller and spending $1-$2 an acre to pull it around is going to increase my bottom line.

Edited by Since1889 2/7/2019 13:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)