AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pool filling costs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jim Dandy
Posted 1/26/2019 14:58 (#7274387 - in reply to #7269738)
Subject: RE: Pool filling costs

NW Illinois Stephenson county
Back in the mid 1980s I had an old chicken house that had a low profile rotting roof that I tore down. My brother helped me dig it out with a 1951 to35 Ferguson tractor with a backhoe on it. The foundation was 24' x 48', the shallow end was 3.5' deep and the deep end was 6' deep. We lined it with 2 sheets of black silo plastic. It took 48 hours to fill it. In a few days the dog went in it and clawed the plastic down 2+' on one edge so we drained it. Actually my brother was able to start 2 siphons with an inch and a 1.5 inch plastic water pipes to empty it. While I was milking a friend stopped to borrow something and he came into the milking parlor panicked telling me I had "one hell of a leak somewhere". The water was running down past the machine shed. So we put 2 more layers of black silo plastic in and filled it with a hydrant running for another 48 hours. For a filter we used an old cloths dryer drum filled with some charcoal and a healthy layer of sand in it. We hooked up a sump pump pulling the water from the far end and letting it filter through the media in the dryer drum. We used some pool pellets for chlorine, but bleach was the main sanitizer. When the pool started turning green it was past time to add some chlorine. One day I was blowing haylage into my 90' Harvestore and I notice the pool looked funny. We had a south wing that day and the blow back pressure from the Harv contained some small stems and the leaves fell upon the pool. I used a window screen to skim as much as I could (the wind pushed the debris into one corner) out of the pool. Some stuff got water logged and sank before I got it all skimmed. We never did make a vacuum to get the stuff out, but we lived with it. The dog stayed out of it. My brother and his kids used it quite a bit that summer and the next. My nephew Dan got diagnosed with "pool chin" at the ER one day. (He came up to the edge and his chin it the edge wall) I understand hypothermia because I cooled off rapidly after hot summer milkings. We had a lot of fun, but we only used it 2 years. It was also cheap fun. My brother has some pictures of it in use, but I don't have them.

Small trees grew up into it. They got cut. And then I filled it in last year and plan on building small shop on the foundation this year and put in concrete floor.

Edited by Jim Dandy 1/26/2019 15:06

(12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 021 (full).JPG)

(12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 022 (full).JPG)

(12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 036 (full).JPG)

(12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 037 (full).JPG)

(12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 039 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 021 (full).JPG (168KB - 282 downloads)
Attachments 12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 022 (full).JPG (180KB - 229 downloads)
Attachments 12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 036 (full).JPG (134KB - 216 downloads)
Attachments 12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 037 (full).JPG (107KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments 12-14-18 sidewalk, shed JD B 039 (full).JPG (159KB - 213 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)