AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Indigo Advantage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 1/12/2019 15:49 (#7240228)
Subject: Indigo Advantage

South Central Iowa
I deposit two items. The first is from this Indigo website showing their advantage over the USDA. The second is the continuous chart showing the same timeframe of this advantage. I fail to see what it would have gained a person. How would this information have been useful? Or the USDA's for that matter?

I'll be honest, I actually thought Indigo was the name Dow & DuPont chose for the agribusiness spinoff, but that is Coreteva. I also kept confusing it with Credenz for quite a while. Corteva was an awful name choice.

My thoughts on yield predictions through satellite imagery:

I think that anyone who farms understands that leaf color has a relatively weak correlation to yield. They also understand that sometimes, for reasons we can't comprehend, a crop surprises us and that can be in either direction. The standard deviation of estimates derived from satellite imagery would be so large, that even the 95% confidence interval would provide a width of 20+ bushel. If the national yield really were 175, this would provide a range of 165 to 185. It isn't really useful or worthwhile at all. A Billion Dollars does not change the fact that leaf color is not the causation of yield. There would also be little reliability of an observation from one year to the next. The variables of soil, moisture, sunlight, temperature, hybrid, and management are too great to be reduced down to a simple model which will produce reliable national yield results, repeatedly, with a narrow range of deviation so as to be useful.

Edited by Conan the Farmer 1/12/2019 15:53

(IndigoAdvantage (full).png)

(IndigoAdvantageMarket (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IndigoAdvantage (full).png (60KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments IndigoAdvantageMarket (full).png (72KB - 129 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)