AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Indigo Advantage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 1/13/2019 17:04 (#7242809 - in reply to #7241696)
Subject: RE: Indigo Advantage

South Central Iowa
Thanks for the article Ehoff.

The microbes are an interesting point for entrance that could be very worthwhile if breakthroughs are found.

Some of their other avenues are less promising than their marketing pitch would have them sound in my opinion. This digital marketplace is a dud for commercial farmers. If you're organic or specialty, it could be more promising, but it will struggle to function on that alone. Their example of a processor who wants to cut back on their water-use could select from sellers with verified, unirrigated grain seems to be such a cliché. It is vogue to promote the "greenness" of a company or enterprise for media adulation. Under the light, it ignores that most grain from producers is sold well within 100 miles of the farm. It also ignores that attributes like that example are superficial concerns for PR that don't actually demand premiums. They are trying to convince the conventional commercial agriculture sector that their bulk commodity is not a bulk commodity; but it is. I mentioned my issue with the near impossibility of quantifying yield to an expectable level and even if possible, does it even matter to the market? The chart says no.

I kind of take issue with this pervasive thought amongst coastal types who think that farmers have no technology. That is incorrect. Farmers were among the first individuals to have cell phones, satellite television, internet, and definitely the first to have semi-autonomous vehicles. Our suppliers and downstream wholesalers are on the cutting edge of genetic modification and global logistics. I feel that when someone, like the CEO of this company David Perry, allows himself to be quoted as saying that agriculture is "really the last big industry that has yet to be impacted by new technologies and new business models", that he doesn't actually know much about the industry he is talking about. It doesn't help the company is based in Boston either; presumably most of their talent comes from the venture capital and consulting industries so prevalent there and the educational establishment of that area. Those are wonderfully intelligent people, no doubt, but I feel they are somewhat ignorant about important aspects of the subject matter at hand.

The most interesting other aside though, is approaching the most mature of mature industries from a different perspective. That portion of naïve ignorance allows them to do that, and though most of their ideas are not as useful or impactful as their marketing would suggest, there may come little approaches or ideas that are impactful in areas.

All Just MY Opinion on it
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)