AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The impacts of Baggers on Local Grain Markets.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 10/13/2018 14:09 (#7044488 - in reply to #7044426)
Subject: RE: The impacts of Baggers on Local Grain Markets.

Strathcona, mn
My biggest issue is having competent help for short periods of time. Yes, we handle it twice.... by doing so I don’t have to have 3x the help for 3-4 weeks. I can keep help busy steady and therefore offer full time positions while not sticking more money into depreciating assets. Bin storage is still a necessity and bags don’t remove the entire need for storage. Cost of bags are around $.05. I can’t move grain to a centralized facility for .06-.10/ bushel in the time needed at harvest. 80%-90% of the bagged grain goes straight to the shuttle loader 65 miles away. I also raise btw 4-6 different crops a year. On years where I am heavy corn I can’t have enough storage for 100% of my crop. Up here, we can see a carry and basis improvement of btw. $.25 and $.75 by keep grain on the farm for 30 days post harvest. That makes the cost of bagging a nonissue. Pay $.05 for bag and $.05 for other cost of bagging and extracting and gain $.15-$.65 all the whole expediatinf harvest by 30-50% and cutting labor and capital cost significantly. Makes sense to me, but I tend to think outside the box a little.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)