AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 8/2/2018 09:51 (#6907039 - in reply to #6906568)
Subject: RE: What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?

East Central, Nebraska
as i said before there are pluses and minuses in both scenarios. i myself would like to keep upgrading displays to the newest features and not have to unlock the display back to rtk to do so.

as for your comment "What happens with these smart antennas when something changes with the satellite constellation.....Oh you need to buy a brand new antenna, and unlock it..... dumb", any scenario where a receiver is rendered useless will effect both the receiver in the display or the one in the antenna. either way its the same thing. so in my scenario i need a new antenna receiver combo you need an entire display. that is why i like seeing the expenses split in half instead of the entire price tag wrapped up in one display with unlocks and receiver on that display. if i have a display stop working i need a new display out of the box, if you have a display stop working you need a display out of the box then the $4000+ worth of unlocks. if my 'smart' antenna stops working i need a new smart antenna and unlocks, you need a $300 antenna. i doubt either one is the correct way, just my preference or yours, or should i say the manufacturers.

we all have an antenna, receiver and display. each different company puts them where they want and we buy it. the old days of an extra box to do the receiver part seemed like the best idea to me, but also did being able to interchange components between brands, which we all know will never happen.

Edited by caseihfarmer 8/2/2018 09:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)