AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 8/2/2018 11:45 (#6907249 - in reply to #6907039)
Subject: RE: What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?

Missouri
caseihfarmer - 8/2/2018 08:51
we all have an antenna, receiver and display. each different company puts them where they want and we buy it. the old days of an extra box to do the receiver part seemed like the best idea to me, but also did being able to interchange components between brands, which we all know will never happen.

Everyone has their own preference, and as long as it works, that's all that matters. FWIW, having a smart antenna does not limit compatibility as much as you think. For example, Ag Leader's receivers use 12 volt supply, and output standard NMEA sentence on a common serial port. Any receiver capable of using serial NMEA for an input can use this receiver. Once configured with the correct serial port parameters, I can connect an Ag Leader receiver to other things, like a 20/20, a raven display such as a Viper 4, Kinze's new Blue Vantage display, and so forth. Serial NMEA is as close to having a standardized GPS communication protocol as we are likely to get.

Some of them have the best of both worlds. I've got a Raven Envisio Pro in my sprayer, running on it's own receiver with a "dumb" antenna on top, but I'm reasonably certain I could connect a smart antenna to it's available serial port and run the same, on that, with just some changes to some configuration settings.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)